1. What is fat?
Fat is the major storage form of energy in the body. Fat gets deposited in the fat cells of the body. The fat cell is a connective tissue cell that has differentiated and become specialized in the synthesis and storage of fat.
2. What is belly fat?
Fat deposited in the abdomen which is easy to gain but hard to lose is belly fat
3. How many types of belly fat are there in the body?
There are mainly two types of belly fat.
a) Subcutaneous fat is located between the skin and the outer abdominal wall.
b) Visceral fat lies in the spaces between the abdominal organs and in an apron of tissue called the omentum.
4. What is stubborn belly fat?
Subcutaneous fat deposited in the abdomen which cannot be eliminated by diet and exercise is called stubborn belly fat.
5. What is Body mass index (BMI)?
It is a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. BMI is an inexpensive and easy screening method for weight category – underweight, healthy weight, overweight, and obesity. Normal BMI is 18.5 to 24.9
6. How can we assess the body fat percentage of a person?
The fat percentage can be analyzed using Body Composition Analysis (BCA) machine. BCA is a technique used for estimating body health parameters like body mass index (BMI), body fat, muscle fat, skeletal muscle, basal metabolic rate, etc.
7. How can you eliminate subcutaneous belly fat?
There are two types of treatment methods available
1. Invasive (surgical) fat reduction
2. Non-invasive (non-surgical) fat reduction
The invasive fat reduction includes Abdominoplasty and Liposuction. The non-invasive fat reduction includes Coolsculpting and Sculpsure
8. What are the advantages of Non – invasive fat reduction treatment?
Non-invasive fat reduction treatment is an OP procedure that does not require any hospital admission and it is free from anesthesia. You can attend your office or travel on the same day as there is minimal downtime.
9. Who is an ideal candidate for non-invasive belly fat reduction?
It is based on the value of the BMI (Body mass index) of a person.
BMI below 30 is an ideal value for non-invasive treatment.
10. What is Coolsculpting?
Coolsculpting by Allergan is a noninvasive technology that uses extreme cold to dismantle fat cells and help reduce a fat pocket. A paneled or cupped device is placed on top of the skin in the treatment area, where it transmits temperatures that are just low enough to freeze fat cells, essentially destroying them. Because skin, muscle, and nerve tissue freeze at a lower temperature than fat, these tissues remain unharmed. CoolSculpting is the brand name for cryolipolysis by Allergan.
Facts about CoolSculpting
• FDA cleared for abdomen, hips, inner & outer thighs, back (“bra rolls”), upper arms, under the buttock, and under the chin
• Studies show that up to 25% fat reduction per treatment is typical
• One treatment area takes 35 to 60 minutes to perform. Some discomfort and an intense cold feeling is normal
• Some temporary irritations like swelling, numbness, redness, and tingling can be experienced. Serious or lasting side effects are extremely rare.
11. What is Sculpsure?
Sculpsure by Cynosure works by dismantling subcutaneous fat using controlled heat. A specific laser wavelength is delivered through the skin, heating fatty tissues to the point where fat cells begin to break down. A constant cooling mechanism ensures that skin is not damaged in the process. SculpSure is the brand name of this non-invasive laser technology.
Facts about SculpSure
• FDA cleared for abdomen, flanks, back, thighs, and submental area(double chin).
• Treatment is typically painless; patients feel a warming sensation
• Treatment takes 25 minutes per area
• SculpSure is effective in permanently removing up to 24% of fat cells in a treated area
12. What happens to treated fat cells in Coolsculpting and Sculpsure?
The treated fat cells are eliminated through body processes
(Phagocytosis) and those cells are removed naturally by the lymphatic system of the body. Once gone they are gone for good.
13. How many sessions are required in both procedures?
Depending upon the fat percentage in your body, sessions can be single or multiple. Usually, it is a single-time procedure but the session may vary depending on how much contouring you need.
14. How long does it take to see results in the above procedures?
It takes 3 weeks after the treatment to show the result. The most dramatic result will be seen after 2 -3 months
15. What happens if I gain weight down the road?
Many people after seeing the result from the above procedures take even better care of themselves. However, if you gain weight after the procedure the remaining fat cells may enlarge as they absorb excess fat.
16. What about diet and exercise after the procedure?
It is advised to maintain the weight. Better results are seen for those who reduce weight by 2 to 5 Kgs within a period of 3 months. 45 minutes workout is recommended daily for 3 months after the procedure. A balanced diet with low carbohydrate intake is advised as per the diet chart given.